Thursday, February 3, 2011

India pt. 1

     India is a total mind f**k. Everything about messes with my head. I love it and hate it at the same time. It's hot, dirty, smelly, and chaotic, but at the same time there's something wonderful in all of it. Maybe it's the complete strangeness compared to everything I'm used to. This is my first time in a developing country and it takes some getting used to. Other students who have spent time in developing countries feel pretty at home here, but students who are new to it have had a hard time adjusting to some of the conditions. When we first got to the hotel we were a little surprised at the worn condition of the rooms, but after our first day exploring the city we came back and said "this place is comparatively very clean, cool, and quiet. It feels like five stars!"
     India really is a land of diversity and disparity. Tons of new buildings are going up in Chennai and a brand new, massive shopping mall just opened near our hotel that is filled with Western brands, such as Converse, Levi's, etc. At the same time, walking around these buildings at night you have to watch your step in order not to step on the many people who sleep there on the street under blankets. We've only been in the city, but I cannot believe how big India is and how diverse it is. There are some 21 national languages and around 1600 dialects spoken around the country! Terrain, food, living conditions...they all change vastly in different regions.
      I also can't get past how inexpensive everything is here! You can easily eat a meal for $3-5 and clothes cost a portion of what they do in the US. To travel we usually take auto-rickshaws for around a dollar. For a while, I had a hard time haggling over the equivalent of ten or twenty US cents with these auto-rick drivers since it seemed like such an inconsequential amount and I own things that cost more than they make in two years. That also brings up driving in Chennai. Indian drivers are the best I have ever seen because it's a wonder they don't crash every other second. I would never drive here and crossing the street is an adventure in itself. Most traffic laws seem like recommendations rather than actual rules. 
     I really do love the food here. It's all so good. Most of the food is vegetarian, but we've found some meat as well, such as the delicious goat curry I ate last night. I thought I would be hungry here, but I'm constantly full, there's a bunch of food around and the hotel we're in right now loves to stuff us. Also, amazingly, my stomach has managed to hold its own against the barrage of spices! I thought I would be downing the Immodium by now, but I haven't needed it yet.

Pictures will hopefully come soon depending on the internet situation!

3 comments:

  1. Good opening sentence, Nathan! Hahaha Take care of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it coming! hope you are enjoying it all!! (sounds like it :p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. facebook is reporting some really great pics--i'm digging the beard, you daywalker. india sounds awe-inspiring and jumble-some.

    can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete